NASHVILLE, Tenn. (April 26, 2023) – Nashville Soccer Club earned a 1-0 victory over San Antonio FC in the Third Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday night at GEODIS Park. Ethan Zubak scored the winning goal for Nashville SC in the second half, while goalkeeper Elliot Panicco recorded the shutout.
The U.S. Open Cup Round of 32 Draw will be held Thursday, April 27 at 1 p.m. CT, streaming live on the B/R App and B/R Football YouTube Channel.
Zubak Does It Again: Nashville SC forward Ethan Zubak scored the game-winning goal in the 71st minute of play, marking the second consecutive season he has recorded the game winning goal. In the club’s first Open Cup match at GEODIS Park, Zubak scored in extra-time last season to lift Nashville SC over Atlanta United FC in the Round of 32.
Magic Of The Cup: Nashville SC’s two Open Cup matches at GEODIS Cup have come with wins. The victory over San Antonio FC also keeps Nashville SC unbeaten against USL Championship sides as an MLS club (also defeated Louisville City FC last season in the Round of 16).
The Pathway To the Pros: Huntsville City FC midfielder Joey DeZart made his Nashville SC debut as a substitute to secure the shutout. Huntsville City FC serves as Nashville’s MLS NEXT Pro affiliate. DeZart has appeared in all five matches for Huntsville City FC this season.
Welcome Atlanta United FC: Nashville SC will host Atlanta United FC at GEODIS Park on Saturday, April 29 at 12:30 p.m. CT and will be televised on the MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV App, FOX and Fox Deportes. Tickets are available by visiting www.NashvilleSC.com/Tickets.
NSH 71’: Fafà Picault takes the ball deep into San Antonio FC territory to bring the goalkeeper off the line and sends the ball across the box for Ethan Zubak to send into the goal
- Nashville SC:
- has not lost since Aug. 8, 2021 when scoring first in all competitions
- owns a 4W-0L-1D record this season and a 34W-4L-15D record historically when scoring first across all competitions
- has allowed just two goals at GEODIS Park this season
- will head to the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 32 for the second consecutive season
- vs. next opponent, Saturday, April 29: Atlanta United FC
- has not lost to Atlanta United FC since Aug. 8, 2020
- owns a 2W-2L-3D record against them in MLS regular season series history
- will be looking for its first MLS regular season win over Atlanta at GEODIS Park in series history (0W-0L-1D)
- Joey DeZart made his Nashville SC debut as a second half sub
- Josh Bauer recorded his first Nashville SC start
- Jack Maher led the defense with nine clearances
- Elliot Panicco
- recorded his first start of the season, and fifth appearance all time for Nashville SC
- has started three matches for Nashville SC in Open Cup play
- recorded five saves to earn his first clean sheet for the Boys in Gold
- Fafà Picault recorded his second assist of the season
- Laurence Wyke made his Nashville SC debut as a starter
- Ethan Zubak led the team in shots (3)
Nashville SC vs. San Antonio FC
April 26, 2023 – GEODIS Park
NSH: Ethan Zubak (A: Fafà Picault) 71’
SA: Kimarni Smith (caution) 33’
SA: Lamar Batista (caution) 61’
SA: Jorge Hernández (caution) 79’
NSH: Fafà Picault (caution) 88’
NSH Starters: Elliot Panicco; Josh Bauer, Jack Maher (Dan Lovitz, 45’), Taylor Washington; Tah Brian Anunga, Ján Greguš (C), Luke Haakenson (Shaq Moore, 81’), Alex Muyl (Fafà Picault, 45’), Jacob Shaffelburg (Teal Bunbury, 61’), Laurence Wyke; Ethan Zubak (Joey DeZart, 81’)
Substitutes: Ben Martino, Chrisnovic N’sa
SA Starters: Jordan Farr; Zico Bailey (Carter Manley, 76’), Lamar Batista, Fabien Garcia (C), Shannon Gomez, Roman Holt (Connor Maloney, 33’); Jacori Hayes, David Loera (Samuel Adeniran, 59’); Kai Koreniuk (Cristian Parano, 45’), Kimarni Smith (Jorge Hernández, 74’), Ignacio Bailone
Substitutes: Eduardo Fernandez, Jose Carlos Mercado
Referee: Sergii Demianchuk
Weather: Clear, 63 Degrees