NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 28, 2023)– Nashville Soccer Club extended its league unbeaten streak to seven matches after securing a 3-1 win over Columbus Crew in front of a sellout crowd of 30,109 at GEODIS Park on Sunday night. Nashville SC won its fourth home league match for the first time in club history.
Nashville SC cashed in on two corner kicks, with Fafà Picault [WATCH] and Teal Bunbury [WATCH] scoring in the second half. Hany Mukhtar sealed the deal with a goal in the 90+7th minute, the latest goal scored in club history [WATCH].
The Streak Continues: Nashville SC extends its unbeaten streak to seven consecutive league matches, owning a 5W-0L-2D record. The Boys in Gold have outscored their opponents 15-6 and haven’t allowed more than a goal per match.
Second In The Supporters Shield Race: Nashville SC improved to 8W-3L-4D with 28 points, as it stands in second place in the Supporters Shield Standings behind FC Cincinnati (33 points).
MVP-MVP: Reigning Landon Donovan MLS MVP Hany Mukhtar continues to make his case for back-to-back MVP honors after recording his league leading 16th goal contributions of the season. Mukhtar has nine goals and seven assists in 15 matches this season and has recorded 51 home goal contributions in his career.
Fafà Forza: Winger Fafà Picault scored his fourth goal of the season tonight off a corner kick from Mukhtar. Nashville SC has won every match this season in which Picault has scored. Three of his four goals have come at GEODIS Park.
Rising Up The History Books: Dax McCarty surpassed Chad Marshall for second all-time in MLS history for matches started by an outfield player at 404 starts. McCarty also surpassed Jeff Larentowicz for third all-time in minutes played 35,619.
Next Match Heading To Dallas: Nashville SC will travel to FC Dallas on Saturday, June 3 at 7:30 p.m. CT on MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app.
CLT 2’: Cucho Hernandez drives towards Nashville SC’s net and drops the ball off to Yaw Yeboah to fire the ball in for a goal
NSH 56’: Hany Mukhtar services a corner to Fafà Picault, who knocks the ball in
NSH 80’: Dan Lovitz services a corner to Teal Bunbury, who heads it in
NSH 90’ + 7: Dan Lovitz connects Hany Mukhtar, who scores from inside the box
- Nashville SC:
- is 2W-2L-2D against Columbus Crew all-time in series history
- is tied for fewest goals allowed in MLS with 10 (LAFC has allowed the same number in three fewer matches played)
- has scored in its last eight league matches including four on the road
- earned its second result of the season after conceding first
- is 1W-1L-0D when trailing at the half this season, 4W-13L-5D historically
- is 3W-0L-0D this season when scoring three or more goals, 22W-1L-0D historically
- is 32W-1L-8D all-time when scoring two or more goals
- Teal Bunbury
- made his 352nd career regular season appearance
- led the team with 0.75 xG on the night
- recorded his second goal of the season, 71st career goal
- Dan Lovitz
- ended the night with two assists, marking the first in his career
- led the team with 11 duels won (84.6%) and five aerial duels won (100%)
- led the team with four tackles won (100%)
- Jack Maher led the team with eight duels won
- Dax McCarty led the team with three chances created
- Hany Mukhtar
- served as captain for the sixth time, fifth consecutively
- has led Nashville SC to a 5W-0L-1D record and a +10 goal differential as captain
- has contributed to 86 of Nashville SC’s total 153 goals in club history
- led the team with seven shots and four shots on goal tonight
- Joe Willis ended the night third in the league with 50 saves
- Walker Zimmerman made his first appearance since Apr. 29 vs. Atlanta United FC
Nashville SC (8W-3L-4D, 28 pts.) vs. Columbus Crew (5W-6L-3D,18 pts.)
May 28, 2023 – GEODIS Park
CLB: Yaw Yeboah (A: Cucho Hernández) 2’
NSH: Fafà Picault (A: Hany Mukhtar) 56’
NSH: Teal Bunbury (A: Dan Lovitz) 80’
NSH: Hany Mukhtar (A: Dan Lovitz) 90’+7
CLB: Gustavo Vallecilla (caution) 5’
NSH: Dax McCarty (caution) 18’
NSH: Shaq Moore (caution) 61’
NSH: Aníbal Godoy (caution) 77’
CLB: Aidan Morris (caution) 90’
NSH Starters: Joe Willis; Dan Lovitz, Lukas MacNaughton, Jack Maher, Shaq Moore; Dax McCarty (Sean Davis 82’), Hany Mukhtar (C), Teal Bunbury (Walker Zimmerman 86’), Alex Muyl (Randall Leal), Aníbal Godoy (Ján Greguš 82’); Fafà Picault (Jacob Shaffelburg 72’)
Substitutes: Ethan Zubak, Taylor Washington, Tah Brian Anunga, Elliot Panicco
CLB Starters: Patrick Schulte; Philip Quinton, Gustavo Vallecilla (Sean Zawadzki 66’), Yaw Yeboah, Malte Amundsen (Christian Ramirez 88’), Mohamed Farsi, Steven Moreira; Darlington Nagbe (C) (Jacen Russell-Rowe 84’), Aidan Morris, Lucas Zelarayan; Cucho Hernandez
Substitutes: Isaiah Parente, Keegan Hughes, Evan Bush, Max Arftsen, Jake Morris, Jimmy Medranda
Referee: Victor Rivas
AR1: Logan Brown
AR2: Walt Heatherly
4th Official: Kyle Atkins
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
AVAR: Joshua Patlak
Weather: Clear, 68 degrees