MONTREAL (Sept. 11, 2021) – Nashville Soccer Club took sole possession of second place in the Eastern Conference with a 1-0 road victory over CF Montréal and extended its unbeaten streak to four matches, with a 10W-2L-11D record, and 41 points.
Zimmerman’s the Man: Walker Zimmerman captained the Boys in Gold after returning from international duty with the United States this month. Zimmerman netted the match’s only goal in the second half, his first of the season and fourth with Nashville SC. Zimmerman also registered five clearances, one of which was a goal line save, with two interceptions, and one block.
On the Road Again: Nashville SC secured its second road win of the season off a set piece connection between Hany Mukhtar and Walker Zimmerman, extending its road record to 2W-2L-5D. The Boys in Gold secured their first road victory of the season on August 28 with a 2-0 win over Atlanta United FC. Nashville SC have 11 matches remaining in the 2021 season, eight of which are on the road.
A Trilogy: Nashville SC and CF Montréal have now met three times over the course of the 2021 MLS season, and four times through Nashville SC’s history in Major League Soccer. Both prior meetings this season have taken place at Nissan Stadium and ended in draws. Nashville SC now owns a record of 2W-0L-2D against CF Montréal. Nashville SC’s two victories over CF Montréal have both been road victories.
Nashville SC will travel to Toronto to face Toronto FC on Saturday, Sept. 18 at 6:30 p.m. CT. Fans can follow all of the action by tuning in to MyTV30, as well as ESPN 94.9 (English radio) or El Jefe (Spanish radio).
66’: Hany Mukhtar takes a free kick from outside the 18-yard box and Walker Zimmerman heads it down to the bottom corner of the net
- Head Coach Gary Smith earned his 20th MLS victory as the manager of Nashville SC
- Nashville SC owns a 8W-1L-1D record in the 2021 season when netting the first goal of the match
- Nashville SC owns an overall record of 17W-3L-4D when netting the first goal of the match
- Nashville SC’s 38 goals are tied for second-most in the Eastern Conference
- Nashville SC have the fewest losses in MLS with two
- Nashville SC and CF Montréal had a combined 10 goalkeeper saves
- Hany Mukhtar now leads Nashville SC in goals (10), assists (9) and shots (67)
- Mukhtar leads the league in combined goals and assists with 19
- Dave Romney remains the only Nashville SC outfield player to play all 2,080 minutes this season and all 4,470 minutes in Nashville SC’s history
- Joe Willis extended his league-leading record of shutouts to 10 and beat his previous season-high of nine shutouts
- Walker Zimmerman made his first appearance since Aug. 28 after being away with the United States Men’s National Team; Nashville SC now owns a record of 5W-1L-7D with Zimmerman in the lineup
Nashville SC 10W-2L-11D vs. CF Montréal 8W-8L-7D
September 11, 2021 — Stade Saputo
NSH: Walker Zimmerman 66’
NSH: Hany Mukhtar (caution) 41’
MTL: Zorhan Bassong (caution) 44’
NSH: Brian Anunga (caution) 58’
NSH: Joe Willis (caution) 85’
NSH: Joe Willis; Daniel Lovitz, Dave Romney, Eric Miller (Alistair Johnston 64’), Taylor Washington, Walker Zimmerman (C), Hany Mukhtar (Abu Danladi 91’), Matt LaGrassa (Anibal Godoy HT), Brian Anunga, Daniel Ríos (Aké Loba 65’), CJ Sapong (Alex Muyl 81')
Unused Substitutes: Jack Maher; Randall Leal, Luke Haakenson, Bryan Meredith
MTL: James Pantemis; Kamal Miller, Zachary Brault-Guillard (Mustafa Kizza 65’), Joel Waterman, Zorhan Bassong (Sunusi Ibrahim 73’), Victor Wanyama (C), Ahmed Hamdi, Djordje Mihailovic, Joaquin Torres, Mathieu Choiniere, Bjørn Johnsen (Romell Quioto 61’)
Unused Substitutes:Sebastian Breza; Samuel Piette, Emanuel Maciel, Clement Bahia, Ismael Kone, Rida Zouhir
Referee: Silviu Petrescu
AR1: Matthew Nelson
AR2: Gianni Facchini
4th: David Barrie
VAR: Carol Anne Chenard
AVAR: Robert Schaap
Statistics are unofficial.