NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Aug. 18, 2021) – Nashville Soccer Club wrapped up its two-match homestand in a 1-1 draw against Eastern Conference foe Orlando City SC on Wednesday night. Forward CJ Sapong netted the lone goal of the match for Nashville, his ninth of the season.
Sapong can Score: CJ Sapong continues his outstanding offensive form after scoring a first half goal against Orlando City SC. Sapong has scored seven goals in his last seven starts for Nashville and currently leads Nashville SC in goals scored in the 2021 season with nine.
On the Attack: The Boys in Gold continue to fire on all cylinders offensively this season, scoring 32 goals which ranks fifth in MLS and notching 33 assists, tying the team for third in MLS. Nashville is currently third in the Eastern Conference in both shots (288) and shots on target (112).
Quick Starts: Nashville SC owns a 5W-1L-1D record in the 2021 season when netting the first goal of the match. In all competitions Nashville boasts a 14W-3L-4D record when scoring first. Nashville SC’s record this season when leading at halftime is 6W-0L-1D.
Nashville SC are set to face off against Atlanta United FC on Saturday, Aug. 28 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium at 2:30 p.m. CT as a part of MLS Heineken Rivalry Week.
Fans can follow all of the action by tuning in to Univision, TUDN, or on the livestream via Twitter, as well as ESPN 94.9 (English radio) or El Jefe (Spanish radio).
NSH 22’: CJ Sapong receives a pass from Hany Mukhtar at the 18-yard box and spins around his defender to strike a left footed shot into the bottom right corner of the goal
ORL 58’: Mauricio Pereyra’s service off of a free kick into the box finds Antonio Carlos who heads the ball into the high center of the goal
- Nashville SC remain the only team in the Eastern Conference to have yet to lose at home this season and hold a home record of 7W-0L-6D
- Nashville SC have the fewest losses in MLS with two
- Nashville SC now own a record of 5W-1L-1D when CJ Sapong scores in a match
- Nashville SC had five players finish with a 90%+ passing percentage
- Nashville SC outdueled Orlando City SC 57-42
- Aníbal Godoy ranks fourth in MLS in passing percentage with 92.9%, min. 10 matches played
- Hany Mukhtar took the lead for assists on the season after registering his seventh tonight, and is the all-time leader in assists for Nashville SC with 11
- Mukhtar led all players in shots on target with two
- Daniel Ríos made his second consecutive appearance of the season
- Dave Romney remains the only Nashville SC outfield player to play all 1,710 minutes this season and all 4,200 minutes in Nashville SC’s history
Nashville SC 7W-2L-11D vs. Orlando City SC 8W-4L-7D
August 18, 2021 — Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tenn.
NSH: CJ Sapong (Hany Mukhtar) 22’
ORL: Antonio Carlos (Mauricio Pereyra) 58’
NSH: Jack Maher (Caution) 32’
ORL: Kyle Smith (Caution) 40’
ORL: Robin Jansson (Caution) 49’
NSH: Tah Brian Anunga (Caution) 65’
ORL: Antonio Carlos (Caution) 78’
NSH: Dax McCarty (Caution) 81’
NSH: Joe Willis; Daniel Lovitz, Dave Romney, Jack Maher (Taylor Washington 79’), Alistair Johnston, Walker Zimmerman (C); Hany Mukhtar (Aké Loba 88’), Aníbal Godoy, Tah Brian Anunga (Dax McCarty 72’); Randall Leal (Daniel Ríos 72’), CJ Sapong (Alex Muyl 79’)
Unused Substitutes: Jalil Anibaba, Abu Danladi, Luke Haakenson, Bryan Meredith
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Mukhtar, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Mukhtar, 2); FOULS: 17 (Anunga, 4); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 2; POSSESSION: 43.9%
ORL: Mason Stajduhar; Joao Moutinho, Robin Jansson, Kyle Smith, Antonio Carlos; Mauricio Pereyra (C) (Chris Mueller 84’), Junior Urso, Silvester van der Water (E. Mas 89’), Joey DeZart; Tesho Akindele (Ruan 89’), Benji Michel (Rodrigo Schlegel 84’)
Unused Substitutes: Alexander Alcarado, Raul Aguilera, Rio Hope-Gund, David Loera, Adam Grinwis
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 3; POSSESSION: 56.1%
Referee: Fotis Bazakos
AR1: Corey Parker
AR2: Jeffrey Swartzel
4th: Alyssa Nichols
VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr.
AVAR: Jeff Muschik
Weather: Rainy, 72 degrees.
Statistics are unofficial.