SANDY, Utah (May 15, 2021) – Nashville Soccer Club extended its season unbeaten streak to five matches with a nil-nil draw over Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday night.
Undefeated: With the result tonight, Nashville SC improved its record to 1W-0L-4D to open its 2021 Major League Soccer campaign. Nashville is now just one of three teams in MLS to remain undefeated alongside Seattle Sounders FC and Orlando City SC, both of whom are in action tomorrow.
Back-To-Back-To-Back: Goalkeeper Joe Willis recorded his third consecutive shutout of the season tonight against RSL, adding a career breaking record to his book.
Road Results Continue: With the draw tonight, Nashville SC improved its overall road record to 5W-6L-3D. Dating back to the 2020 regular season, Nashville SC has earned results in four consecutive road matches (3W-1D).
Nashville SC will return home on Sunday, May 23 at 8 p.m. CT in a primetime matchup against 2021 expansion side Austin FC. Fans will be allowed at Nissan Stadium in a near full capacity setting for the first time since the club’s inaugural MLS home match on Feb 29. 2020. Tickets for next week’s match are available at NashvilleSC.com/Tickets.
- Nashville SC earned a draw in the club’s first ever meeting against Real Salt Lake
- With the shutout, Nashville has now gone 317 minutes without allowing a goal. The last goal given up by Nashville came on April 24, in the 42nd minute against CF Montréal
- Nashville SC recorded double-digit shots (12) for the fifth consecutive week
- Nashville SC has out-shot its opponents in every match this season and overall (87-45)
- Luke Haakenson registered 24 minutes of action off the bench today, the most minutes he’s played in a match in his MLS career
- Randall Leal led Nashville with three shots and two shots on goal tonight. He is the overall team leader in shots with 18 and shots on goal with 13
- Joe Willis earned his 30th career shutout tonight, and third consecutive shutout for the first time in his career
Nashville SC 1W-0L-4D vs. Real Salt Lake 2W-1L-1D
May 15, 2021 — Río Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah
RSL: Justen Glad (Caution) 27’
NSH: Alex Muyl (Caution) 58’
NSH: Joe Willis; Daniel Lovitz), Dave Romney, Walker Zimmerman, Alistair Johnston; Dax McCarty (C (Matt LaGrassa 85’), Aníbal Godoy; Alex Muyl (Luke Haakenson 66’), Randall Leal (Taylor Washington 85’); Dominique Badji (Hany Mukhtar 57’), CJ Sapong (Jhonder Cadiz 66’)
Unused Substitutes: Bryan Meredith, Dylan Nealis, Jalil Anibaba, Handwalla Bwana
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Leal 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Leal, 2); FOULS: 10 (Godoy & Johnston 2); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 0; POSSESSION: 55.9%
RSL: David Ochoa; Andrew Brody (Noah Powder 83’), Donny Toia (Ashtone Morgan 76’), Justen Glad, Erik Holt; Pablo Ruiz, Damir Kreilach; Justin Meram (Douglas Martinez 83’), Albert Rusnak (C), Anderson Julio (Maikel Chang 82’); Rubio Rubin
Unused Substitutes: Zac MacMath, Nick Besler, Tate Schmitt, Milan Iloski, Justin Portillo
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 0; FOULS: 6; OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 12; SAVES: 3; POSSESSION: 58.1%
Referee: Victor Rivas
AR1: Jeff Hosking
AR2: Jose Da Silva
4th: Elijio Arreguin
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert
Weather: Clear, 75 degrees.
Statistics are unofficial.